Austin Trust & Estates Attorney
Planning your estate involves making difficult decisions about how to distribute your property and assets. Since every family is unique, every estate is unique as well. Additionally, the laws around trusts and estate are always changing, with unique statutes in each state needing to be met in order for an estate to be enforceable. Fortunately, an Austin trust and estates attorney at Thorsen Legal brings decades of experience helping clients navigate complex estate planning issues.
We work closely with clients to develop personalized plans that address their concerns and meet their goals, including:
- Disposition of estate
- Health care decisions
- Tax considerations
- Division of assets
How Much Does an Estate Plan Cost?
You may be tempted to draft your own estate plan, but we would caution against that. Given the complexity of tax law, a self-drafted estate might not be enforceable or could result in total loss of your property. This could also lead to infighting among family members over who gets what, and high probate and court costs in order to resolve.
The good news is that basic estate planning doesn’t have to be expensive. In fact, it can be quite affordable. The five documents we recommend starting out with include:
- Will – A will outlines your last wishes in terms of how you want your estate distributed after death.
- Power of Attorney – If you become incapacitated a Power of Attorney grants an individual the ability to make decisions on your behalf.
- Healthcare Power of Attorney – If you become incapacitated a Healthcare Power of Attorney grants a trustee the ability to make healthcare related decisions on your behalf.
- Living Will – A Living Will documents your wishes for medical care if you were to be under certain medical circumstances.
- Revocable Living Trust – A Revocable Living Trust determines who gets your estate after your death.
Estate Planning in Austin and Throughout Texas
Our law firm handles a wide range of estate planning legal matters for clients in Austin and throughout Texas. From simple wills to the most complex trusts, our attorneys bring decades of experience and a reputation for impeccable customer service. We will explain all your options in a way you understand and work with you to develop a custom solution that addresses your needs at an affordable price.
And as your family and wealth grow, our team stands ready to update your estate to account for new beneficiaries and distributable assets. We stay current on estate and tax laws to ensure you provide you with the most up-to-date legal advice so that your assets are protected during and after your lifetime. Contact us today to see how we can help you with your estate plan.